Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter Beach Peter Beach is offline

Default Copying rows from one file and pasting into a new file

Hi Stan,

Tom may have gone to bed <g, so perhaps I can offer some assistance.

To change the paste so that it transposes the rows (i.e. the data runs down
the columns rather than across the rows) you need to change the line:

rng1.Copy Destination:=wkbk.Worksheets(1).Range("A1")

To read:

rng1.Copy
wkbk.Worksheets(1).Range("A1").PasteSpecial , , , True

To save them as csv files try changing:

wkbk.SaveAs FileName:=sPath & cell.Row & ".xls"

to:

wkbk.SaveAs FileName:=sPath & cell.Row & ".txt", FileFormat:=xlCSV

to wrap up opening multiple workbooks you might use something like:

Dim sFName As String
sName = Dir("c:\inputdata\*.*")
do while len(sName) 0
Workbooks.open(sname)
Set wkbk = ActiveWorkbook
. . . code as given by Tom, with my amendments
sName = Dir() ' Note, no parameters this time as we want to get the
next file
loop

HTH

Peter Beach

"Stan Bauer" wrote in message
Hello Mr. Ogilvy

Thank you so much! I hope you get back all of the karma
you generate!

Mr. Ogilvy, may I please ask about two more things?

Your code generates xls files with a row in it. I need
text files with the text displayed as a column [i.e. we
copy a row from the input file and paste it as a column in
the output file].

I tried to simply replace ".xls" by ".txt" in your code,
but it didn't help. May I please ask whether it would be
possible to change the code to do this?

I apologize about bringing up the second thing. I feel a
little as if you agreed to give me the little finger. If
this is not simple, please ignore it.

I have 800 files, each with C columns and R rows, that I
need to do this with. All of these files are in
c:\inputdata\ folder.
Each file is named 1.txt, 2.txt, ... T.txt

Would it be difficult to have the code open each of these
files in turn, run the algorithm and save row w from file
c:\inputdata\q.txt as c:\data\w_q.txt - a text file with
one column in it?

Thank you, Mr. Ogilvy

Warm Wishes

Stan