Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Personal.xls Question

Personal.xls is created when you first record a macro and elect to have it
saved in the personal.xls.

There is nothing exceptional about personal.xls except that when Excel
creates it, it marks it as hidden and puts it in the xlstart directory. All
files in the xlstart directory are opened when excel is started manually.

There is nothing global about it. Any changes you make to personal.xls are
only to your personal.xls. You could create an alternate startup directory
for all users and have it point to a common location (netword shared drive)
and put an xls file there - don't call it personal.xls, however, because
there can only be one file with that name open at any given time.

Usually one creates an addin for distributing macros.

There is no one right solution - it depends on your situation and you really
haven't said much about that.

Tom Ogilvy

JR wrote in message
I created some subroutines that I saved in a file called
Personal.xls. I assumed that this file was the "global"
file that all Excel installations loaded when started up.
This is the file that is always/usually hidden.
Apparently, this is not the case. Some Excel
installations have it and other don't. Can anyone confirm
this for me? If this is true, which versions of Excel use
Personal.xls? If I wanted to create a "global" file to
hold my subroutines and a version of Excel does not have
one, how do I create this hidden file so that it is
always loaded.

Thanks!
JR