Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
steve steve is offline

Default Finding cells and summing variable cells

Chris,

This will find the row number

Dim rw As Long

rw = Cells.Find(What:="grand total", After:=ActiveCell, _
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False) _
.Row

compile and debug it first to make sure there aren't any extraneous spaces
and such...
--
sb
"Virginia Morris" wrote in message
Chris -

You need to set a variable value equal to the row property of the cell
containing the value "Grand Total". I don't know what method you're using
to locate that cell, but once you have it, you can say something like

this:

totalRow = [cell containing "Grand Total"].row

& then use the totalRow variable whenever you need that row number.

I'm afraid that I'm not sure exactly what your second question is asking.
Do you just want the number representing the sum or do you want the sum
formula entered into your spreadsheet? Or something else?

Good luck!
"Chris M." wrote in message
OK, I have a twofold problem.

First, I scan down the A column for the value "Grand
Total". I need to somehow store the row value for recall
in later code, but am not sure how to do this, or how to
recall it. For instance, I'd like to make my code run
within certain cells in columns E, G, and I and the row
that "Grand Total" is on.

Secondly, I need to total every "=Sum" field above the
specified cell, but can't even begin to fathom how to
accomplish this.

Help is greatly appreciated.