Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Cross-Post vs MultiPost

I think that was a typo and the Bob Phillips meant just the opposite. A
multipost is where the same or substantively the same question is posted
separately in several groups. A crosspost is where a single post is posted
to multiple groups - an when answered in any group, the answer is
automatically posted to the other crossposted groups as well.

Crossposting is acceptable as long as the groups crossposted too would
consider the question on topic.

Multiposting is problematic since several people can work unknowingly on
solving a problem already solved and perhaps even acknowledged in a
different group - thus wasting their time - also, the original poster often
doesn't check all the locations where they posted - another waste of time.

Anyway, that is my take on the situation.

Tom Ogilvy

Random <Random@nwhere wrote in message
Not really an Excel question, but as I am a newbie and don't want to
break any of the guidelines for this extremely helpful group....

I recently saw a post where someone mentioned that multiposting? is
more acceptable than cross-posting. Can someone please explain what
these are or point me in the right direction, so that I do not
inadvertantly offend?

Thanks,

Random