Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron de Bruin Ron de Bruin is offline

Default Verify a directory exists

You can use this function

Function DirectoryExist(sstr As String)
'Tom Oglivy
Dim lngAttr As Long
DirectoryExist = False
If Dir(sstr, vbDirectory) < "" Then
lngAttr = GetAttr(sstr)
If lngAttr And vbDirectory Then _
DirectoryExist = True
End If
End Function

and use it like this

Dim Dirname As String
Dirname = "C:\MyDir"
If Not DirectoryExist(Dirname) Then
'.........................
Else
'............................

Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)
www.rondebruin.nl

"MacroMan" wrote in message ...
I hope someone can help me with this. I am using VBA in
Excel XP with Windows 2000.

I am working with a legacy program in which the user
supplies a network path (e.g. \\col-gs1\subdir\temp\).

I cannot change the program other than to add a subroutine
that will verify that the user-supplied path is valid and
actually exists. This path is also typically empty, so I
can't look for any particular file either.

I know there are better ways to accomplish getting a path
from a user, but I must work within boss's constraints.

Your example code would be most appreciated. Thanks in
advance.