Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jaf jaf is offline

Default "Headroom" on <Files=99 in config.sys

Hi Dave,
It addresses open file resources for all the major o/s's.
I spent awhile on google and saw several mentions of the old "out of memory"
problem being traced to "to many open files"

There are several API windows error message constants dealing with "to many
open files", but I didn't see anything about querying for available files.
There must be some or windows wouldn't need an error message.

--

John

johnf202 at hotmail dot com

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Doesn't that first link describe a problem with Mac's? The windows info

looked
like it was just referring to a utility that helps find what's open--not

that it
still causes problems.

It points back to this:
http://ittimes.ucdavis.edu/may2000/348.html

And that has this line at the end:

(By the way, in Macintosh OS 9, Apple boosted the number of simultaneously

open
files to 8,169.)

====
I don't think I've had this problem with newer versions (win95) of

windows.

jaf wrote:

Tim & Dave,
It is still a problem. http://ittimes.ucdavis.edu/may2000/348sb.html And
read the link at the bottom of the page.

And although not a VBA solution http://www.sysinternals.com/ Look for

the
"Filemon" download.

--

John

johnf202 at hotmail dot com

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Pure speculation follows:

If it's in the config.sys file, then it's a pc wide setting--all
applications(???).

If it's all applications, how can you check to see what's open or even

how
many
are open?

And with lots of windows applications, files are opened that I never

know
about
(or even care about). All those DLLs and other external files.

And pulling my old DOS 3.2 manual:

Purpose: This command sets the number of open file handles

compatible
with
XENIX(R) that the MS-DOS system calls can access.

Syntax: files=<x

Comments: <x represents the number of open files handles that the

system
calls
can access. System calls 2FH throuh 60H are compatible with the XENIX

operating
system.

<x can be any number between 8 and 255. The fault value is 8. Any

value
higher than 20 serves no function.

And pulling from my old DOS 5.0 manual (I'm a pack rat!):
Files: Sets the number of files that MS-DOS allows to be open at one

time.
In the 5.0 manual, it does say you can have up to 255 files open at

one
time.

In the 6.0 userguide, it says to refer to the online help. (I _don't_

have that
anymore!)

But I can't imagine that this is important anymore.

Tim Childs wrote:

Jim

that's really interesting: we still have this in our set-up at

work - I
know
because I have a VBA application which broke the limit....

am on Windows XP here at home and, as you say, there is no config

file
(that
I can find)

but at work the limitation exists and is not easily put right - if I
distribute the application I need to ensure the number of open files

is
kept
below 99

thanks for responding

Tim

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
I thing that setting is obsolete under Windows, Tim. In the old

DOS
days
machine memory was limited to 640k and you had to worry about

allocating
it
for various purposes. Each "file" allocated took a little bit. I

think
you
can safely forget about it. If Config.sys has an entry it's for

"legacy"
purposes I would guess. My Config.sys is empty btw.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

--