Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:50:04 -0700, "postitnote"
wrote:

This sounds like a very good idea though after looking at my spreadsheet I
must admit that I'm not sure what to do with this information. What is a
"helper column" and how do I get it? I did input the information you gave me
(=RIGHT(G1,4)&MID(G1,5,2)&LEFT(G1,3)) and noticed how it changed the column,
but it's not exactly what I need (see my reply to the post made by Ken in
this thread).

Thank you for your help.

A "helper column" is just an extra column that you insert and will use, at
least temporarily, in your table.

Lets say you had the SSN's in Column A and other data related to these SSN's in
Columns B:F.

Click the A which selects the entire column. Then Select Insert from the main
menu and Column from the drop down sub-menu.

Everything moves over one and your SSN's are now in column B; Column A is now
your helper column.

Given your post to Ken, modify the formula I wrote to read:

=RIGHT(B2,2)&MID(B2,8,2)&MID(B2,5,2)&LEFT(B2,3)

Copy/drag this formula down as far as required.

Then select your entire table, including column A, and sort ascending (as
number) on Column A.

Finally, you can delete column A, or hide it.

This can be also done as a macro.

--ron