Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ken Hunter Ken Hunter is offline

Default runtime error 1004 when opening excel file via VBA in a browser

Hello,

I have an excel spreadsheet that uses a macro to open
another excel spreadsheet via Workbooks.Open(filename)

On my local drive this works fine and it opens the second
file, runs the query, and closes it without complaint.
When I run it via a network drive it works fine as well.

However, when I try to run it via a browser (i.e. put the
file on a web server and then open the url as
http://www.whatever.com/myfile.xls") and then run the
macro I get a runtime error 1004 stating "Method 'Open' of
object 'Workbooks' failed".

Any idea what is causing this?

To complicate matters more, when it gives me the error it
gives me the option of "End" or "Debug". If I click Debug
it brings up the code window. If I then click Run without
making any changes it runs properly.

Help!

Thanks,

Ken Hunter