Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave[_19_] Dave[_19_] is offline

Default SUMIF

Hi,

1)
Thanks to Tom Ogilvy who posted the earlier reply about the SUMIF function.

This is what I was looking for, however it dosnt seem to handle text very
well.

What I want to do is to count the number of times a string appears in a
column of data ( in a different workbook).

However the way this string has been input means that there may be white
space at the start or end of the string.

Is there any way to get the SUMIF function to say

IF A contains B, THEN ++ ?? ( as opposed to IF A = B).

2)
Also is there anyway to work with spaces - I have a lot of worksheets to be
referenced but they all contain spaces, and currnetly it wont let me work
with these.

3)
Is there any neat way of referencing the current sheet in a formula.
See I have 2 Excel files, A , B. Both files have exactly the same number of
worksheets ( each worksheet in A has a coressponding one in B, named
identically).

So what I want to do is to reference the coressponding worksheet in the
other file from the current worksheet, without explicitly naming that
worksheet ( so I can just copy it to all other worksheets - I will
eventually have over 60 !! )

Thanks