Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jerry Park Jerry Park is offline

Default Strange problem - extremely slow application.

Thanks. None of that helps (I had recently cleaned temp files, etc.).
This is something that suddenly happened. That is, the application was
functioning fine. Next time I ran the application, very slow. Whatever
has happened is likely to be some setting that has changed, because the
system is running OK and the Workbook has not been changed.

Can anything leave the system in a state of Autocalculation that can't
be turned off? The system responds in a manner consistent with behavior
when autocalculation is left on during macro execution. Macros are
preceeded with Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual and ended
with Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic, but I wonder if
something could prevent changing the setting ...

Dave Peterson wrote:
Try cleaning up your windows temp folder.

And you may be able to find some more info at Charles Williams' site:
http://www.decisionmodels.com

And David McRitchie has some notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

Jerry Park wrote:

Beginning yesterday, everything I do in Excel takes forever -- or the
application stops entirely. VBA modules still run normally (fast), but
every macro and everything I do directly takes a very long time.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Office 2000 in an attempt to
correct the problem -- no success.

No changes were made to applications. And the same application runs
normally on another computer.

(Macros turn off screen updating and autocalculation).

Any ideas what could cause this system to behave so strangely?

Thanks.