Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
john john is offline

Default FileSystemObject to get last 10 lines of text file.

Hi Jim,

You are right, the suggestion and feedback has been tremendous, don't get me
wrong. I'm grateful! I was just looking for the quickest method... As to
your question, unfortunately I'm not creating the log file as such, at least
I don't have the control to do as you suggest. Thanks for pointing that out
tho!

It made me think that maybe I could Link this information somehow? The
linking facility in Excel, returns an icon (rather than the text file
contents), which is about as useful as something not very useful!

Maybe Access has more power to deal with such requests. I'm not a big fan of
Access but it could probably handle the same objective, maybe better seeing
as it's Data, not calculations...

I'll go poke the Access.groups then.

Thanks

Jim Vita wrote in message

John,

I've been looking at the variuous posts here and there are some great
ideas. In the past, I've used the one with the Skip method posted by Dana.
Are you writing the log? If so, have you considered making your log a

fixed
record length and using vb random file access. You could do a direct seek
to the 10th record from the end. Random access would be the fastest way to
go. Another possibily is to log to a DB table instead of a file.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Vita
Microsoft Developer Support