Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Hank Scorpio Hank Scorpio is offline

Default Keeping macros neat

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:27:39 -0400, "Tom Ogilvy"
wrote:

Just for interest, while of not much utility, you can run a sub like
Sub Tester3(sStr As String)
Debug.Print "tester3: " & sStr
End Sub

from the textbox of the Tools=Macro=Macros dialog by entering

'tester3 "Hello"'

and hitting enter or clicking the run button - but it isn't displayed in the
list.

Based on some other information on xl2002, this may not be possible there -
I haven't tested it in xl2002.

This still works in xl2002.

Personally I tend to keep "helper" procedures off the list by making
them functions rather than subs (which also allows me to pass back a
Boolean argument indicating a successful outcome or otherwise)...
although the down side of that is that they can then show up as user
defined Worksheet functions in the formula wizard. Don's original
suggestion of making them Private is the safest way out, IMHO.

Bob Phillips wrote in message
... also

If they have arguments, they will not show up in the list, as you cannot
pass an argument value in the list. And if they do repetitive tasks, it is
often the same task, but on different data, so there is a need to pass a
reference to the data to be acted upon.

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *