Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Lorenzo Tom Lorenzo is offline

Default Delete characters in cell

"AuthorizedUserPF" wrote in message
Hello

I have a cell containing characters in A1
The Characters are right aligned. I want to delete the righmost 6

characters
in the cell.
I am trying something like

Sub Remove_Characters()
Anystring = Range("a1")
MyStr = Right(Anystring,6)
MyStr Delete
End Sub

It isn't working. Am I using Delete in the correct context?

Thanks
I am running Win XP Pro and Excel Office XP

No, you aren't using it correctly. Assuming you want to place the shorter
string in cell a1, then try this:

Sub Remove_Characters()
Anystring = Range("a1").value

' Compute current length of string
myLen = Len(Anystring)

' Note: extra variables introduced for illustratation.
' delete the extra variables to simplify the routine

If myLen 6 Then
' What is length of string six characters shorter?
newLen = myLen - 6

' Set new string to the new, shorter length
newString = Left(Anystring, newLen)
' Note: might want to include the TRIM function for the new string,
depending on how you feel about spaces.

' And save that value in the cell
Range("a1").Value = newString

- Sox