Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Kevin Lyons Kevin Lyons is offline

Default Unicode StrConv/Substitute routine...

Tom,

I mean an upside down ? is what is showing in my Excel file. When I run the top
portion of the code on it, I get the associated Chinese or Japanese characters.

Assuming that it is unicode, do you have a solution?

Kevin

Tom Ogilvy wrote:

It could have something to do with pasting this into an email, but the
character you show is char 191, which doesn't require unicode.

Not sure what you mean by Language equivalent.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Kevin Lyons" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to code a macro that will replace or substitute all "¿"

unicode
characters to their language equivalent using Application.Substitute

and/or
StrConv. I have written the below macro, but I am having trouble getting
it to do as I expect.

My thinking is to use the StrConv within the Application.Substitute

code...

The counter code that is commented works but for only a specific cell.
What I would like is the entire workbook changed accordingly. Can someone
assist?

--------------------------

Sub fixUnicode()

' counter = Range("A1046").Value
' strTest = StrConv(counter, vbFromUnicode)
' MsgBox "strTest = " & strTest
' Range("B1046").Value = strTest

For Each unicodeChar In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns("A:AK").Cells
Range(unicodeChar.Address) =
Application.Substitute(unicodeChar.Value, "¿", StrConv("¿",

vbFromUnicode))
unicodeChar.WrapText = True
'okfilename =
Application.WorksheetFunction.Substitute(variousar tistsfilename, "-OK",

"")

'newfilename = StrConv(okfilename, vbProperCase)
Next

' For Each periodSlash In
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns("AG:AK").Cells
' Range(periodSlash.Address) =
Application.Substitute(periodSlash.Value, _
' periodSlash.WrapText = True
' Next
' Selection.Replace What:="¿", Replacement:="?", LookAt:= _
' xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False

End Sub

Thanks,

Kevin