Frank Marousek

Default Using formatted cells in formulas

I have been provided a worksheet with a list of 5-digit part numbers that
the creator of the worksheet formatted as zip code to preserve leading
zeros. I need to use these cells in a formula which uses the "&" operator to
tack on a suffix. For example:

Original part number cell A1 = 2345 (with zip code formatting displays as
02345)

I need cell A2 to be 02345XX, so I'm using the following formula: A1&"XX".

Problem is, when I do this, Excel drops the leading zero and displays
2345XX. Is there a way to have Excel use the formatted display string for
cell A1 instead of the underlying numeric value?