Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Scott Lyon Scott Lyon is offline

Default The expanding XLS spreadsheet

I've been working on an Application (in Excel 2002) for awhile. Lately, it's
been growing out of control. To give you an idea, when I save the thing (in
Excel 2002/XP format, we won't even TALK about what happens if I save it in
Excel 97 format), it's pushing 150MB.

At this point, the application consists of the following:

- About 110 worksheets - each with two TabStrip controls (with anywhere from
5 to 30 tabs), and approximately 4-5 buttons, as well as two small images
- Each worksheet has about 400 lines of VBA code (although about 150 lines
of that is temporary code, commented out, and will be gone when this goes to
production).
- Two main (shared/common) VBA modules that have about 4000 and 1200 lines
(respectively) of VBA code

And that's about it... But somehow it's ballooned up to 150MB, and is
starting to give my computer fits as I work on it. To add insult to injury,
realistically, there will probably (when all is said and done) be over 200
worksheets (each with probably around 200-300 lines of code each)

Now, it's way too late to rewrite this in a better way (and for that matter,
although the code is similar on each of the worksheets, it's unique enough
that I cannot just call a shared function for most of it). Is there any way
I can get this thing to shrink back down to a managable size?

I wouldn't mind if it was as much as 50-60MB, once I've got all 200
worksheets. But that it's above 150MB already, and I'm barely half-way
there, has me quite concerned.

Can anyone offer ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
-Scott