Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CellShocked CellShocked is offline

Default How do I have a cell value define a dynamic named range?

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 23:51:50 -0700, Gord Dibben wrote:

I think Don means for you to place the formula in the "refers to"
dialog when defining the name.

I will try that. Thanks.

I still don't see it.

I named A1 on sheet1 'colA' and then I edited the name in name manager
to that formula but pointed it at sheet2 instead. But I still do not
understand.

I want to have a cell that is for defining the array size row count.

so the user see in sheet one a series of field to fill data in on. One
of those fields is used to set the number of rows in the data array.

So my sheet1 is the user data input sheet, and the results get referred
to on subsequent 'display' sheets.

Gord

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:02:40 -0700, CellShocked
<cellshocked@thecellvalueattheendofthespreadsheet .org wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:16:15 -0700 (PDT), Don Guillett
wrote:

On Oct 22, 1:18*pm, CellShocked
<cellshoc...@thecellvalueattheendofthespreadshe et.org wrote:
* I want to make a worksheet where the user places a whole number value
in a cell. *That value is then relied upon to define the number of rows
in a named range on another worksheet in the same workbook.

* So, it would define say, the number of shelf positions on a wall.

*So, the range would be from say 10 to 45 shelf positions, depending on
the user's choice of the other worksheet's referred to cell value.

* Or would it be simply easier to define a number of named ranges on the
worksheet which include the numeric, then refer to that named range in my
subsequent formula scripting

name your range colA and in the formula
=offset($a$10,0,0,a1,1)
or better yet to make it SELF adjusting based on the content of col A
=OFFSET(Sheet4!$A$10,0,0,MATCH("*",Sheet4!$A:$A ,-1)-9,1)

That formula goes in the what cell?

The sheet1 cell has say 40 in it, the sheet2 array would then be 40
rows x whatever number of columns.

I can sort of see what is going on here, but I do not know where to put
the formula. What? Cell A1 of sheet4? I am a bit confused.