Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete[_7_] Pete[_7_] is offline

Default SUMMING TOTALS BASING ON CHARATERS ENTERED IN CELLS OF ONE COLUMN

This calls for the SUMIF function.

If you want the total of each type in row 2 at the top under each TYPE
column heading, begin your data table at A3

In E2, place =SUMIF($D:$D, E$1,$B:$B). Drag this formula across from
E through H.
The E$1 will adjust automatically to cover the other TYPE column
headings.

Pete
On May 23, 6:54*am, Lawsim wrote:
Hi Team,

I need your help on this. i would like to get the total of the
characters in column D (TP,CS PS,BTP) and let the total of each
characters placed under their respective type in column E,F,G,H) as
below accordingly. I also need column (E,F,G,H) to update their total
automatically whenever a new value is entered in column D with the
same specified charaters as above.

Below is only a sample of what i am working on but the data is quite
large.

I will be grateful if any of you could assist me with this excel work
ASAP

For further information, i can send you a detailed screen shot
directly to your email

A * * * B * * * C * * * D * * * E * * * F * * * G * * * H
DATE * *ID NO. *NAME * *TYPE * *TP * * *PS * * *CS * * *BTP
20.05.2011 * * *125458 *otim one * * * *TP
20.05.2011 * * *123568 *john b *TP
20.05.2011 * * *123568 *okello *PS
20.05.2011 * * *123568 *peter * TP
20.05.2011 * * *123568 *han * * PS