Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Less Excel more Math

On Apr 15, 3:16*pm, Ty wrote:
I need 3% of a total number. *Then I need to check to see if the
customer actually has 3 % in the actual number in another column(E2).
I have 120(F2) and I did a =+F2*0.03 which equals 4(in G2). *Now the
customer just so happen to have 4 in column E2. *So, now I need to
check to see if they are at 3%. *So, I did a =+E2/F2(in i2). *I have
that the customer is right at 3%(in i2).

Here is another example using the logic up top.
715(in F3) 21(in G3) and my answer for the percentage is 3% (in i3)

Yes, your math is basically correct. =F2*3% gives you 3% of the value
in F2. And =E2/F2 computes percentage of E2 over F2. If F2 is 120
and E2 is 20, E2 is about 16.67%.

But first, be careful with testing for exact equality. Arithmetic
with non-integers and even ratios (division) of integers is rarely
exact. So you need decide if you want greater than or equal to 3%, or
if you want less than or equal to 3%. I will assume greater than or
equal.

Second, be careful about how you interpret numbers that Excel
displays. For example, 21/715 might look like 3% if you format it as
Percentage with zero decimal places, but it is actually less than 3%,
namely about 2.9371% -- and even that is not exact. Usually[*] the
display format does not alter the underlying value.

So if F2 is base number and E2 is the customer amount, you could
write:

=IF(E2/F2 = 3%, "at least 3%", "less than 3%")

Or if I2 is =E2/F2, you could write:

=IF(I2 = 3%, "at least 3%", "less than 3%")

Alternatively, if G2 is =F2*3%, you could write:

=IF(E2=G2, "at least 3%", "less than 3%")

-----
Endnotes
[*] "Usually the display format does not alter the underlying
value. Exception: when the calculation option "Precision as
displayed" (PAD) is set. I do not recommend it. If you choose to set
that option, be sure to make a copy of the Excel file first. PAD can
change constants irreversibly, which might break other calculations.

Second, you