Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Cone[_2_] Jim Cone[_2_] is offline

Default Finding position of last period in filename

Three functions (filename in A5)...
=SUBSTITUTE(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A5,".",REPT(".",99)), 99),".","")
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .

"Jack Deuce"
wrote in message
I have a large spreadsheet of filenames. I'm trying to break the
names into Filename and File extension using LEFT and RIGHT functions.
I'm having trouble getting some of these names because some of the
filenames contain more than one period,

eg., This.is.the.filename.DOC is in Col A.

Can someone suggest a function that would separate both parts?

This.is.the.filename in Col B
DOC in Col C.

Thanks in advance.