Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Binary operator (?)

On Mar 18, 4:42*am, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 01:47:28 -0700 (PDT), joeu2004 wrote:
What I do find odd is that ="2""" returns TRUE.
*The ASCII code for "2" is 50, and the ASCII code
for "" is 62.

I'm sure you also noticed that the number 2 returns false
when stored as a number.

I do not get your point, if you are trying to explain what I
observed. Perhaps you could elaborate, speaking directly to my
example.

=2"" returns FALSE because numbers are always considered less than
text, based on the collating sequence described for VLOOKUP et al.

But I typed ="2""". I am comparing text literal to text literal.
No references to cells with formulas. And Excel is treating "2"
different from 2 in that context, as evidenced by the difference in
comparison results.

I expect that comparision to follow the ASCII collating sequence,
except that lowercase and uppercase alpha are treated the same. That
is (written mathematically):

I cannot say where __I__ would expect "[" and "{" to fit into the
collating sequence because I do not know whether uppercase alpha is
treated as lowercase alpha or vice versa.

If you can provide a pointer to Microsoft documentation about the
collating sequence of individual text characters in comparisons, that
would be helpful. I have tried a few Help searches, to no avail.