Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
trvlnmny trvlnmny is offline

Default Summarize By Category?

On Sep 8, 5:55*pm, Gord wrote:
Check out the features of Pivot Tables.

For very good assistance see Debra Dalgleish's site.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/tiptech.html

See help under the "P" section.

For your particular need maybe

http://www.contextures.com/excel-piv...subtotals.html

Gord Dibben * *Microsoft Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 14:25:36 -0700 (PDT), trvlnmny
wrote:

I am working with Excel 2003 and W Vista.
I have a spread sheet that contains 5 columns. One column contains
Amounts Spent. Another column contains a one word category of what the
amount was spent on such as fuel, dining etc.
The spreadsheet is in order of the date of the expenditure. Someplace
at the bottom I would like to be able to show sub totals based on the
category.
Thank you for any and all help.

OK, I am using the Pivot Table Wizard. In my source worksheet I have
columns labeled Date, Amount and For.
In the Wizard Layout screen I move Date to Row, I move For to Column
and I move Amount to Data. What happens is Amount changes to Count of
Amount. This gives me a count of the amount entries and not the actual
amount value.
Thanks for any and all help.