Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mark F[_2_] Mark F[_2_] is offline

Default How do I get a popup window on a VLOOKUP lookup failure?

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:18:41 -0700, "Jim Cone"
wrote:

Assumes your lookup formula is in cell H4...
Enter this formula in your "fixed location" cell: =IF(ISERROR(H4),"PROBLEM","")
'---
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware .
(Special Print XL add-in: long columns printed side by side)

Doesn't do what I want: I want ANY error to show up in some fixed
location.

There will be 1000s of cells.

"Mark F"
wrote in message
I am using the VLOOKUP function and want to get an error indication
if there is not an exact match for the first argument (lookup_value).

I can get an error indication each cell with a problem by using the
4th argument to VLOOKUP and using the value "FALSE".

How do I get a indication that there a problem in either a fixed
location in the spreadsheet or a popop window?

I am using Office 2003, but, if need be, I can move to Office 2010.
I am using Windows XP and cannot upgrade.