Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default help with dates please

On Apr 1, 6:53*am, "dido22" wrote:
Can someone please help me generate a list of dates in a
column. I just need month and year, so Jan 2010, Feb 2010,
Mar 2010 .....etc. No days or dates.

The simplest way is to enter a full date, for example 1/1/2010, then
format as Custom "mmm yyyy" without quotes. That only makes it easier
to write formulas that might depend on that date.

As for propagating down the column, that depends on how many dates you
have to enter. The following are 2 ways.

1. Enter 1/1/2010 into A1 and 2/1/2010 into A2 (expressed in m/d/yyyy
form; use the form consistent with your region).
Select A1 and A2.
Drag the lower-right corner down the column.

2. Enter 1/1/2010 into A1.
Click on Edit Fill Series.
Select Columns, Date, Month.
In Stop Value, enter the last date, e.g. 1/1/2012.
Click OK