Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joeu2004[_2_] joeu2004[_2_] is offline

Default Custom Number Format for text

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 19:18:10 -0700, "joeu2004" wrote:
"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 14:40:33 -0700, "joeu2004" wrote:
Also, you cannot use Conditional Formatting to accomplish this in
XL2003.

I'm surprised. I thought you could format font color in CF in XL2003.

Who said anything about font color?

Perhaps I misunderstood. When you wrote:

Also, you cannot use Conditional Formatting to accomplish this in XL2003.

I thought that by "this" you were referring to the OP's request to:

display a blank cell if the cell value is text "null"

I think I know where you are going with that. But if you have an "aha!",
why not simply spit it out and show us all how smart you are instead of
being a smart-ass and distorting the comments of others.

Even if "this" had referred to CF in general, I simply overlooked an
arguably clever use of it. Again, you could simply present your idea
instead of casting contentless aspersions on my comments.

FYI, "this" referred to "any custom formats or format subtypes for Text". I
wrote, "But I believe CF is more robust in XL2010, perhaps XL2007 as well",
because I think (IIRC) that someone pointed out elsewhere that XL2010
(and/or XL2007) CF now permits us to specify numeric formats per se
conditionally based on cell values.

I might be wrong about that; I don't have XL2007 or XL2010 to double-check.
Note that I wrote "IIRC". If you have XL2007 and/or XL2010, perhaps you can
comment on that. Ah, "that" refers to the specification of numeric formats
per se in Conditional Formatting.

But as I continued to write, ``Nonetheless, I don't know if it is robust
enough to accomplish this kind of "formatting". I doubt it``. Ah, "it"
refers to the specification of formats per se in Conditional Formatting.
And "this kind of formatting" refers to the OP's request for a "text format"
per se.