Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Colin Hayes Colin Hayes is offline

Default How to make a number have a certain number of characters.

In article , Cimjet
writes
Hi Colin
Select your cells, right click, format cell and select Custom the type 12
"0"zeros e.g. 000000000000
HTH
Cimjet

Hi

OK Thanks.

I did try this , and it works fine on the screen.

I save it as tab delimited. When I re-open the file the zeros have all
disappeared again , and I'm back with my too-short numbers.

How can I make the zeros stick?

Thanks again.

"Colin Hayes" wrote in message

Hi All

I have a small problem.

I column A I have a row of cells , some of which have numbers , some of which
are empty.

The numbers usually have 12 or 13 chars.

Some have fewer than 12 chars. I need to make these up to 12 chars by placing
zeros at the start of each.

Cells with numbers already at 12 or 13 chars , or which are blank should
remain unaltered.

Can someone help with a formula to achieve this?

Thanks. Grateful for any advice.