Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Pinnell[_2_] Terry Pinnell[_2_] is offline

Default Weird corruption of hyperlinks

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote:

Saved from a previous post:

A few people have said that this has stopped a similar problem from occurring.
Maybe it'll help you--but you'll have to test it to make sure.

In xl2003 menus:
File|Properties|Summary Tab|Hyperlink Base
change it to C:\
(something that's always available)

In xl2007:
Click on the Office button
Choose Prepare, then properties.
Then use the arrow on the Document Properties dropdown
Choose Advanced Properties
And then change the hyperlink base on the Summary tab.

Thanks Dave, appreciate the help.

I've just tried the above but unfortunately it didn't work. I changed the
base to C:\

Then, with a clean cell, I browsed to
C:\Docs\My Videos\Intro MPGs\Zakopane2002.mpg

The Hyperlink dialog box filename was now
Docs\My Videos\Intro MPGs\Zakopane2002.mpg
which looks correct.

But opening it still gives the error "An unexpected error has occurred."

And all OTHER previously working links now fail, with the message "The
address of this site is not valid. Check the address and try again." I
thought that simply clearing the base again would fix that, but it hasn't
;-(

I'll take a deep breath and a coffee and then tackle it further!

Here's another factor that is muddying the water. The program I had
associated with MPG files was the VLC player. That has always worked fine
when the MPG was d-clicked from Explorer windows, and I'm pretty sure
previously it worked OK from these Excel 2000 hyperlinks too. But as one
step to isolating my problem I've now just changed the association to
Media Player Classic (MPC) instead. That now allowed me to successfully
open a correctly specified hyperlink, while it had failed previously with
"An unexpected error has occurred."

I still have the major issue to resolve, but at least that's one barrier
removed.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK