Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jlclyde jlclyde is offline

Default Calculate quantity of shapes inside another shape

On Jul 7, 1:26*pm, GS wrote:
jlclyde brought next idea :

On Jul 5, 9:43 pm, GS wrote:
Just so you understand why I suggest using CAD software...

Some CAD/CAM software have utilities for figuring out the maximum yield
from a given size of material stock for given component size envelopes..
These can even be mixed size envelopes, yield different parts from the
same material stock. For example, a 4 x 8 sheet of aluminum would be
plotted to yield n pieces of part#a and n pieces of part#b, or any
number of other pieces so as to effect minimum waste of material stock..

The most typical usage would be EDM or plasma/flame cutting apps,
followed by CNC part programming software.

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

Gary,
Thanks again for the clarification, but I do need the shapes to go
both directions. *we currently have a software program that does this,
I was just wondering what the formula would look like in Excel. *We
often change the parent size, which is stored in excel. *Then we have
to plug the numbers back into the program to get the new number out.
I was hoping I could have it make the one change and be done with it.

Thanks,
Jay

Jay,
I guess, then, that whatever program you have that does this is what
I'm referring to. To reproduce what it does would require knowing what
algorithm[s] it uses. I doubt the author would release that info and so
why bother trying to dupe in Excel what you already have dedicated
software to do (besides licensing restrictions).

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org
ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc- Hide quoted text -

Gary,
I want to do this in excel because I do not want to have to go back
out of excel to calculate how many I can get out a parent size stock.
Thanks for your comments.
Thanks,
Jay