Maddogs Maddogs is offline
Junior Member

Red face Summarize by Average in Pivot Shows #Div/0!

Hello,
I have a helpdesk ticket call statistics pivot table that currently shows the hour of day along the vertical (column) axis and day of week on the horizontal (row) axis and correctly shows the counts of the calls for each hour\day of week cell in the body of the pivot table (I can send file if requested).

But instead of the counts, what I really need is to show the AVERAGE number of calls coming in for each hour\day of week, but when I try to change the 'Summarize by' option from Count to Average, ALL the cells in the body have a #DIV/0! in them? I would think this would happen for those hour\DoW combination that do not have any calls, but certainly not for ALL the cells?

I'm aware of the pivot table option of masking errors with other values, but this does me no good when the entire table is showing zero as it is in this case. I tried adding a column of 1's in the base data for every row and then summarize the pivot by that new column as an average, but all it did was give me 1's in every cell of the pivot table.

The data has a thousand or so rows having tickets spread over the entire year of 2010 at all hours of the day and day of week. A sampling of the data looks like:
Columns: TicketNo, OpenDateTime, DayOfWeek
Data:
123, 1/1/2010 1:10AM, Sunday
234, 1/1/2010 2:45PM, Monday
345, 1/5/2010 1:10AM, Wednesday
456, 1/7/2010 1:30AM, Sunday
...etc.

Any help or other approach to get the desired result would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Maddog
Attached Files
File Type: zip CallFreqAvg_byDoWHour_FM.zip (53.2 KB, 168 views)