Nadia

Of course! thanks heaps.
cheers,
Nadia

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If there's nothing else on those sheets, just use the whole column. That's what
I did with sheet2!a:b.

Nadia wrote:

Thanks for all your responses.
The lookup value is a numeric code which appears only once on one of the 3
sheets, so your formula Dave would work well (havent tried yet but I was
thinking that way myself).... my other problem is that the range lookup will
change as data is dumped into those 3 sheets each week, guess its easy enough
to edit the data range each week but is there any other way or will this
involve code ("silly question")...of course it will!
thanks for your help

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Do you mean you want to return the first one it finds or you want to return all
3 that match?

I'm guessing the first one it finds...

You could use multiple =vlookup()'s in your formula:

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0))),VLOOK UP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0),IF(NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sh eet3!A:B,2,0))),VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet3!A:B,2,0),IF(NOT( ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet4!A:B,2,0))),VLOOKUP(A1,Sh eet4!A:B,2,0),"missing from all 3")))

Nadia wrote:

I need to be able to do a vlookup to extract data that can be in 3 different
lists on 3 sheets... is this possible? BTW I cannot combine the data into one
list.
cheers
Nadia

--