jcynn jcynn is offline
Junior Member

I don't know if this is still in need of resolving, but one thing to note is that in step 3, you need to actually select all of the columns in the preview and change each column to text. If you just select the text option, it will only change the first column to text but any remaining columns will remain under General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesse View Post
I may be missing something but I don't understand how this fixes the problem.
I'm trying to seperate 9 digits out into 9 columns. All of them have leading
zeros that need to be retained. But when I go to TextToColumns it doesn't
even bring in the leading zeros into the data preview. Selecting Text on step
3 of 3 doesn't change anything. There's no delimiter so I'm trying to do it
by fixed width unless you have another suggestion for that.

Thanks

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Peggy,

The final screen of the TextToColumns wizard gi ves you the option of
selecting the format for each column. Select the text format option and all
should be well.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Peggy" wrote in message
When I try to use Text To Columns to split a long series of numbers into
several columns of numbers, if one of the numbers starts with a zero it
isn't
retained. The zero gets dropped. I tried formatting the original numbers
as
text - it didn't work.
Is there a way to split a numerical string into several columns and
retain
leading zeroe?