CLR

Another way is to use just the LOOKUP feature.......

=LOOKUP(A1,{"A","B","C","D","E";35,45,55,65,75})

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Pete Cumberland" wrote in
message ...
I want to use vlookup to convert grades (A, B, C, etc) to numeric values

but
have been unable to do so. I've been to the Contextures web page which
gives help on this and have read, in confusion, a solution but am still
unable to get it to work.

This is what I've done:
Sheet 1 I've called "Numeric"

and I've entered a series of text grades in column A

I've created a table of grades and numbers in sheet "Lookup" which is
entered in cells A1:B6 with cells A2:B6 being the field array
Grade Score
E 35
D 45
C 55
B 65
A 75

In Sheet "Numeric" column B adjacent to the text grades (A1:A5) I've
entered the formulas

=VLOOKUP(A1,Lookup!A2:B6,2)
=VLOOKUP(A2,Lookup!A2:B6,2)
=VLOOKUP(A3,Lookup!A2:B6,2)