Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nota4n1 nota4n1 is offline

Default Can't open an excel file (have 2007, Vista) without saving fir

TinyTall,
I have been through this forum looking for the magic answer. Tried them all,
but noticed you reference to the "%1" in the perform action. The %1 was in
the perform action but without the quotes("%1"). Adding the quotes to the
existing %1 in the perform action and not adding anything to the DE
Application not running, solved the problem.

"Dorci" wrote:

Thanks Tinytall, that worked for me!

"Tinytall" wrote:

Here is what fixed it for me. This is different than any of the above steps.
I got this direct from Microsoft Tech Support.

Edit .xls file type
1. Click on Start Control Panel.
2. Double click on Folder Options and select File Types tab.
3. Select XLS file type extension and click on Advanced.
4. Highlight Open under actions and click Edit.
In the dialog box that appears you need to make two adjustments:
Application to perform action:
At the end of the line after /e append a space character followed by "%1"
(including the quotes)
DDE Application Not Running:
Insert new text: [Open("%1")] (including the brackets)

I hope this helps.

Eric

"nw" wrote:

I am having the exact problem described. It began 1-2 weeks ago and only
effects Excel. Running XP Pro with Excel 2003. Still looking for a solution.

"Tinytall" wrote:

I have the same issue (in XP Pro) where opening an Excel file (.xls or .xlsx)
from a directory or from an email will not open the file. It simply shells
out Excel without opening the file contents. I need to save the attachment,
open Excel, then click open, navigate to the saved file and it then will
open. I have unchecked the previously suggested checkmark in Excel Options,
Advanced, General, Ignore Applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE).

I've even tried other suggested methods such as Start | Run | Excel
/unregserver and Start | Run| Excel /regserver with no luck.

I'm getting tired of saving attachments to open them, so if anyone has found
another issue, please post.

Thanks in advance.

"JimC" wrote:

It used to work fine and now doesn't. if i save the file and open through
Excel, works fine but just trying to double click attachment or outlook
message, gives and error message