Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson Chip Pearson is offline

Default Excel 2003 sum if or count if ... or is it something else ???

Try the following array formula:

=SUM((--(((SheetA!F1:F10="telephone")+(SheetA!G1:G10="tele phone"))0))*(--(((SheetA!K1:K10="other")+(SheetA!L1:L10="other")) 0)))

This is an array formula, so you MUST press CTRL SHIFT ENTER rather
than just ENTER when you first enter the formula and whenever you edit
it later. If you do this correctly, Excel will display the formula in
the formula bar enclosed in curly braces { }. You don't type in the
braces; Excel puts them there automatically. The formula will not work
correctly if you do not enter it with CTRL SHIFT ENTER. See
www.cpearson.com/Excel/ArrayFormulas.aspx for much more information
about array formulas.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

On Thu, 20 May 2010 13:56:01 -0700, Kawboy
wrote:

I am using Excel 2003 and am really stuck on getting a sum or count function
to work if it matches another column. I know this might be bread and butter
to some of you but as a bit of a novice, I've tried what I consider to be the
obvious and get nothing.

My problem -
On a sheet B I want to sum (or count) all the times "Telephone" occurs in
columns F or G only if "Other" occurs in columns K or L, these columns being
on sheet A.

See, told you it was simple enough ... but please Please PLEASE how do I do
it?