Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fabio fabio is offline

Default Adding variable number of columns

Hi

Using Excel 2003 I want to create a formula which will add a varing number
of columns together depending on the entry in a particular cell, for a
budgeting spreadsheet.

For example if I have a year to date total in the 13th column and I was to
type January in cell A1 I would want the value in the first column to be
displayed in the year to date total (column 13). If I put June in A1 I want
the sum of the first 6 columns to be displayed in the YTD total etc for an
entire year.

I was able to use a nested IF statement last year as there were only 3
months remaining when this job was required. However, my understanding is
that I can't have more than 7 nested IFs in versions prior to Excel 2007 so I
need an alternative approach.

Thanks for any assistance given.