Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Luke M[_4_] Luke M[_4_] is offline

Default Referring a cell

For number 1, I'm afriad you're probably out of luck. The closest thing
would be the INDIRECT function, but it won't work on closed workbooks. You
could use the HYPERLINK function, and concatenate a string together, but
that would simply open the file, not retrieve the specific data.

For number 2, did you try and type the dollar signs? Alternatively, after
clicking on the cell, hit the F4 key. This cycles through the different
options for relative/absolute referencing.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Terry0928 via OfficeKB.com" <u59143@uwe wrote in message
Hi,

1) I would like to know how can I get "='M:\Payroll\Expenses Report\[NON-
GATE REPORT APR 2010.working.xls]APR 10'!$G$38 on a worksheet when
referring
the date on G38 of the file "NON-GATE REPORT APR 2010.working.xls". I
can
only get something like "='[Movement.0410.xls]Reconciliation HKAHQ'!$E$60"
and need to open the data file for referring to the cell data to paste on
the
destination worksheet.

2) On sheet 2, if I want to type "= and point to a cell on sheet 1, the
link
will be like "=Sheet1!A1" can I make the cell to read "=Sheet1!$A$1" ?

Please advise.

Many Thanks
Terry