Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier[_2_] Jon Peltier[_2_] is offline

Default Trendline when data points are missing

What is your category axis (X values)? If it's not numerical, you do not
want a trendline.

Why can't you use a line with markers style to connect the points?

Your data should be in this arrangement to make a proper chart:

| Principle | TRP
Target 2050 | 12.2 | 11.3
Target 2045 | 11.1 |
Target 2040 | 10.8 | 9.4

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

On 5/11/2010 1:16 PM, Chris Moran wrote:
I have data where for some of the series there is data in each "category" and
in other series there is some missing data. Here's the example:

Fund Type Fund Company One Year Return
Target 2050 Principle 12.2
Target 2050 TRP 11.3
Target 2045 Principle 11.1
Target 2040 Principle 10.8
Target 2040 TRP 9.4

When I chart this I get a line for all of the "Principle" data because it
has a data point for all three "Fund Types". I only get data points and no
line for "TRP" because it has no data point for the "Target 2045" "Fund
Type".

I would like to add a trend line that simply "connects the dots", but none
of the available trendlines will do that. I also can't put a formula in the
cells because the source data is a pivot table. Any solutions for this?