Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Need to open eer file without converting 8-7440 to a date?

Try pre-formatting the cells as text before importing.

Or can you export the eer file to to a *.txt file first then open the *.txt
file in Excel?

In the Text Import Wizard you can designate cell formats.

Can you use DataImport External Data?

You should be able to designate how to treat fields.

i.e. if it looks like a date, treat as Text

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 10 May 2010 15:05:01 -0700, pnkflydthewall
wrote:

Trying to pull a report from one program that has file in eer format. Need
to open in excel but Excel auto converts a number (8-7440) into a date in
August. Have tried many different ways to open the report but it converts to
a date everytime. When I format the cells to be 'general' or 'number' it
does not convert the number back correctly (lists 2023658 instead of 8-7440).
Any suggestions? Help...please help....this is driving me to drink.