Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Insert rows when data changes

I'd add an additional column (a new column A) with a formula like:

=left(b2,1)
and fill down.

Then I could use data|subtotals to group by this column.

If I wanted it reproduced mechanically, I'd record a macro when:
I removed data|subtotals (Remove all)
Sorted the data by column A (ascending) and column B (ascending)
Reapplied data|subtotals

Russell Dawson wrote:
In a column of periodically changing names in alphabetical order (col A) €“ I
need to insert a row after each change in initial letter. So when the names
have been sorted when the initial letter of the name changes from A to B as
in Aldred to Bute there is a blank row inserted after Aldred.

It would be nice if the code could include the instruction to sort the names
first rather than that being a separate action. Sort by column A to include
other related data in columns to F.

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson