Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

Yes it is the web UI

I agree that the edit thing could allow users to go back and correct posts
to appear as if they had the correct answer all along. I like it because by
typing is terrible. I have been know to post code with typos and then have to

The avatar thing was done tongue in cheek. I am just waiting for someone to
use an 'inappropriate' avatar to see what happens.

MS is not the only company filling their screens with useless junk. We have
software here at work that fills the screen with pretty junk and there is no
way to remove it. Note to software vendors... form should follow function.

Finally the gold star. I don't really care. I don't chase points. I see so
many posters soliciting points and I am with you... why? Perhaps to impress
others but there are individuals around here with medals that don't hold a
candle to others without medals. I like seeing others biographies and
backgrounds which is why you end up seeing my medals. No way to have one
without the other.

My parting word are go to the newsgroup with an open mind. It is certainly
different from the current environment. Some good and some bad. Try not to
make up your mind before you have given it a fair chance. XL2007 also takes a
lot to get used to. It is slow and cumbersome at first. You really need to
give it a chance.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Avatar - wow I never joined the community so as to have a cool avatar!

Points - I think it is insidious for two reasons, first you get people
points chasing (just look at Experts Exchange), and secondly I fully expect
MS to use those points as some time in the future. And what did obtaining a
gold start give you?

Edit posts - that is a double edged sword, as often a poster will read your
mistaken post before you correct it and may be confused/distracted by it.
You can easily follow-up with a correction, as you can/do in the NGs, but
if you do edit I feel it would be better to leave the original mistake and
then add the correction, it will avoid any chance of confusion.

Screen space - filling the screen with junk, sound like the current MS
philosophy to me generally (style gallery in the ribbon!).

--

HTH

Bob

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote in message
Ok I have tried it. For all of the negative feedback I don't mind it.
Could
it be better... Absolutely. But compared to some other on line forums and
the
like it is darn good. And heck I even get to have a really cool avatar.

As for points they are par for the course on so many of these sites. I am
with Bob that they are kind of useless. Perhaps I am just bitter since I
just
got my gold star in the general questions forum and now they are wiping
that
out. Now how is everyone supposed to be impressed.

Things I like... You can edit the post you made. I can not count the
number
of times that I had to back track a posting for a typo or just palin silly
mistake. Now I can look smarter by fixing the mistakes...

First pet peave is the use of screen space. There is a lot of wasted
space.
I would prefer to seem more content and less junk / blank space.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

I have tried it, it is a tad slow, and you still have the odd groupings
in
Answers.

--

HTH

Bob

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 May 2010 12:34:41 +0100, "Bob Phillips"

wrote:

That is a shame Ron, I have enjoyed your contributions. But MS don't
care,
there will always be hundreds stepping up even if they aren't up to
your
capabilities, and they have shown a blind indifference to those more
capable
users amongst us.

Bob

I will lose, also, by not participating. I did notice something called
an
NNTP
Bridge. I haven't tried that access method yet. Maybe it'll be better
than
the Web UI.
--ron

.