Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Vlookup and match part of text in a cell

You could try something fuzzy like this:
=VLOOKUP("*"&E2&"*",B2:C100,2,0)
where lookup value is in E2, eg: today
the lookup col is col B and the return is from col C
Any good? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"Joe Phan" wrote:
Hi, I am trying to match text in an array that may not be exact match in the
cell and return the value in the adjacent column. example: look up "today"
in the array that has "today is the 3rd" and then return the value next to
this. Seems simple, but I can not work this out. I 've looked through the
discussions and can not seem to find the appropriate answer.