Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default remove the date, leave the time

Yes, but the true underlying value of the cell will still contain the date.

With the date included the cell value is 40268.6791666667.

With just the time the cell value is 0.6791666667.

So, going by the OP's subject line: remove the date, leave the time

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"James Silverton" wrote in message
T. wrote on Sat, 1 May 2010 11:00:53 -0400:

=--SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,20)," (ET)","")

Format as hh:mm

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Matrix" wrote in message
Hi all. I have a problem. I have a data set that must be
copied and pasted into Excel and one of the columns contains a date and
time in this format:

3/31/2010 4:18:00 PM (ET)

Now I can do a simple search and replace to get rid of the
(ET) part, but what I want to do is this. If the data is in
cell 'A1', I want to have cell C1 show JUST the time in a
24hr format. Is there a way to strip the date data out and
convert the time to 24hr format? Thanx!

As far as I can tell, after you remove the "(ET)", a simple Format cells
Time will work.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland