Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default remove the date, leave the time

You can use a tiny trick! Using Find/Replace, edit C1. Just replace "B1"
with the formula contained in B1. This will create a large formula that you
can copy downwards.

Personally, I like short formulas and don't mind using "helper columns".
However we don't always get that option!
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

"Matrix" wrote:

That worked great! I can use that, but just wondering if there was a way to
do that without having to use the formula in B1 then converting again. In
other words, is it possible to go from A1 to C1 without needing the formula
in B1 or combining the formulas into one formula? Thanx again!

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Lets assume that the data is in text format (because of the ET)

In B1:
=LEFT(TRIM(A1),LEN(TRIM(A1))-5)
to display:
3/31/2010 4:18:00 PM
this removes any extra spaces and the (ET)

In C1:
=TIMEVALUE(MID(B1,FIND(" ",B1)+1,256))
and format as time 13:30:55
to display:
16:18:00
The formula discards the date and converts to a true time.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

"Matrix" wrote:

Hi all. I have a problem. I have a data set that must be copied and pasted
into Excel and one of the columns contains a date and time in this format:

3/31/2010 4:18:00 PM (ET)

Now I can do a simple search and replace to get rid of the (ET) part, but
what I want to do is this. If the data is in cell €˜A1, I want to have cell
C1 show JUST the time in a 24hr format. Is there a way to strip the date data
out and convert the time to 24hr format? Thanx!