Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mark D[_2_] Mark D[_2_] is offline

Default VLOOKUP help (possible format issue)

Sorry Ms-Exl-Learner, I worked it out

Thanks again

"Mark D" wrote:

Hello again

Your formula of If A23 consist Preceding and Trailing Spaces then use the
below formula:-
=VLOOKUP(TRIM(A23),'Current running April 2010'!$A$1:$Q$620,1,FALSE)

is working very well, could you possibly help me with one more thing.

If the cells match it returns the name, excellent. If not it returns N/A,

Is there any way I can wrap around your formula that if it is N/A then ""
(would prefer to have the cell blank)

Thanks again

"Ms-Exl-Learner" wrote:

It describes that either the A column of 'Current running April 2010' data is
having Preceding or trailing spaces or the A23 value will be having extra
spaces.

If A23 consist Preceding and Trailing Spaces then use the below formula:-
=VLOOKUP(TRIM(A23),'Current running April 2010'!$A$1:$Q$620,1,FALSE)

If A column of 'Current running April 2010' data consist Preceding and
Trailing Spaces then use the below formula:-

=VLOOKUP(A23,TRIM('Current running April 2010'!$A$1:$Q$620),1,FALSE)
Copy and paste the above formula and place the cursor in formula cell and
press F2 and press Cntrl+Shif+Enter, since it is an array formula. The
general enter will not do the trick.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Mark D" wrote:

Morning everyone.

I have a simple VLOOKUP calculation which is causing me problems.

=VLOOKUP(A23,'Current running April 2010'!$A$1:$Q$620,1,FALSE)

A23 = persons name
Column 1 in the other tab is also a persons name. I just want it to return
the name in the cell.

I keep getting N/A appearing. But if I take the ''current running april''
tab and take the name from there are copy it into A23 it works. So I assume
it is something to do with the format of both cells.

I set both of them to TEXT, but that doesnt seem to be working

Any ideas??

Thanks