Bill Kuunders

Matty

I read your conditions as...........
if a3 is empty take a random number between 1 and e2
If a3 is not empty, return a3.

The functions in our replies
=IF(A3="",RANDBETWEEN(1,E2),A3) should do that.

"the problem is that when false....." which cell is false?

Where are you entering the function? In cell e3?

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"matty_g" wrote in
message ...

Hi, thanks

the problem is that when false, there is already a value in that field
which I would just like to keep there, not get one from anywhere else.
Like this:

=IF(A3="", RANDBETWEEN(1,E2), '-do nothing-')

meaning just leave the current value there. I don't know how to
accomplish this. I was looking at the possiblity of some how saving the
value into some sort of variable. I have some programming experience
but not a whole lot with excel so this was just a thought.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
matty_g
matty_g's Profile: