Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:46:09 -0700, "RagDyeR" wrote:

About to start out on a seniority project for the plants.

If this was 3 months ago, I wouldn't have given a second thought about using
Datedif.

However, in the past couple of weeks, I've read, and been part of threads
where the inconsistencies of the function have been brought to light.

Of course, seniority will range over the full gamut of time, from days to
years.

Would you please just share with me your opinion on the function?

Would YOU use it ... or not?

TIA,

RD

I think the important concept is to first define precisely how seniority will
be calculated. And what will be done with the results.

Once that is done, then you can devise appropriate worksheet functions.

The basic problem in defining time in terms of years, months and days is that
both years and months can vary in length. If you are trying to define time in
service, you could use weeks and days in order to be most accurate; or the
company could make a decision that they will count (for example) full calendar
months and fractions of a month; or make each month arbitrarily 30 days and
each year arbitrarily 360 days; or any other number of conventions.

Then you can decide how to treat 1/2 days of work on a Sunday Holiday :-))

--ron