Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default Cell Formatting of a Conditional Statement

1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1
mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection
2. From menu FormatConditional Formatting

Based on your condition either go by 'Cell Value Is' or use
formula...Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula

=A1=5
(If the cell value = 5)

OR (c2 is the condition)
=A1=c2

4. Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color (say Red)
5. Hit OK

PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tabStylesConditional
FormattingManage rulesNew ruleUse a formula to determine which cells to
format. Enter the formula in the box below.

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"RobFJ" wrote:

I want to be able to change the background of a cell colour if a second
condition is met - but for the background to remain unchanged if the first
condition is met.

So in the formula below, the background would be yellow if the 'c2'
condition is satisfied.

=if(c10,c1,c2)

My actual formulae are much more complex but if someone can point me in the
right direction in terms of principles that would be great