Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
carrach carrach is offline

Default dividing 0 by 0 in excel 2003

Hi, I have a spreadsheet where I am working out the correctness of an
expected result in % but have a problem with dividing 0 by 0.
example from my spreadsheet:
if E10 is the predicted value and E11 is the actual value achieved the % of
correctness is shown in E12. E12 is currently holding the formulae below:
=IF((E10E11),E11/E10,E10/E11)
The problem arrises if both E10 and E11 are showing a zero value as the
result is #DIV/0! I want it to show 0% which it does if only one of them is a
zero.
Most of the threads I have found on the website suggest checking for the
zero in the divisor before dividing but I cant work out how to check for a
zero in both E10- & E11 and then incorporate it into the formulae above.
probably really simple but been at it so long cant see the wood for the trees.
any help gratefully received
thanks
carrach