bj

yes
excel only keeps track of the first 15 digits in a number, if you entered
more digits as a number,they are now lost.

"Pam Coleman" wrote:

If I am typing in 19 numbers in a cell (that has been formatted to number) to
keep track of account numbers, it puts zeroes at the end and only 15 numbers
are showing. If I go into another cell and choose text first before typing
and then type my numbers you can see all the numbers, but when I try to go
and change the number formatted cell to text the number still does not change
unless I retype the number. Is this the way this works?