Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default Date format to Text Date for use in Mail Merge

You can use field codes to do this without having an additional column in
your worksheet. If you insert a Date field into the main document and then
press ALT+F9, you see as below

{ MERGEFIELD "Date" }

To get all the dates in the merged documents to have a format you want; you
can add this formatting switch to the field code:

To display as January 1, 2010 try

{ MERGEFIELD "Date" \@ "MMMM d, yyyy" }

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Erinayn" wrote:

I have everyone's start date in a column. I'd like to create another column
with their start date in text so that I can then use it in a mail merge for
their certificates. I've got it converted but the MM/DD/YYYY is behind the
scenes and when I do the merge that comes over versus Month Day, Year.

Any help?